Sunday, April 18, 2010

1.1 Ad Design critiques


Hi, my name is Amenia Pempleton and I am an aspiring graphic designer. I am here posting some of my work to get an outside perspective and critique. All opinions are greatly appreciated you don't have to be a graphic designer to post!

The first PDF is for my ad design class from last quarter. My company was Expedia. In all three designs I used transparencies to add depth to the ad. I was looking for something so that "said" travel when I found the suitcases. I particularly liked these because they where colorful and attractive (not to mention PRADA) so I used them as the base of the design and then layered my transparencies. Then to break up the design I added the rectangle on the right side with a simple text. I like the overall design but I feel one small thing is missing but I don't know what. What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amenia! You are indeed talented. I am far from a graphic designer but writing I LOVE to do. My first and main input would be to make sure that even in your blog narrative that you make sure your spelling and grammar are correct. It helps people to take you seriously.

    With regard to the image, as a customer looking at it I would think it was more about Prada/Suitcases than travel. I guess maybe draw out the hotel image more. Always ask yourself "What am I marketing?" I want to think of the relaxing part of arriving to my destination not the actual travel (suitcases). Since it is an Expedia focused ad perhaps make the plane a tad bigger and lightly write the website Expedia.com in the airplane? One last tip - Because I write and advertise on my blog (used to anyway). Font is a key factor in drawing attention to an add or a blog. Research has shown that the best fonts to use when advertising are the simpler ones like Times New Roman, Garamond, School Book, Georgia, Baskerville, Sanford and Oxford. Too much "pretty" in the font takes away the simplicity and focus of the ultimate message. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete